The Top Ten of 2022?

Since it's the new year and one of my biggest resolutions is to finally get this blog going, what better way to start the year off by making a list of my most anticipated films coming out over the next twelve months? If I'm being honest, I don't expect most of these to make it into my Top Ten once December rolls around (in fact, I have no doubt that a couple of these will turn out to be disappointments). It should be noted that a majority of these films on this list are going to be big studio movies instead of the smaller indie films that usually dominate the awards season. That's simply due to the fact that no one knows anything about most of the smaller films at this point because they either haven’t been finished and/or started their marketing campaigns (once Sundance and Cannes happens, we'll get a better idea of the landscape). That being said, this is purely just for fun so without further ado, these are my ten most anticipated films of 2022 (In order of release date):


1)  The Northman (Release date: April 22nd): I wasn't the biggest fan of Robert Eggers' previous films The Witch and The Lighthouse, but after seeing the cast and the trailer, this looks to be his most mainstream film to date. A revenge epic set during the times of the Vikings? Count me in. 



2) Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (Release date: May 6th): This one was pretty much a given, especially with the release of Spider-Man: No Way Home a few weeks ago. Regardless, I've been looking forward to this ever since it was announced back in 2019. 



3) Thor: Love and Thunder (Release Date: July 8th): I thoroughly enjoyed Thor: Ragnarok (it's easily the best Thor film) and the biggest reason for that is Taika Waititi. It's a good thing he's back again in the director's chair, because I don't know if I'd be as excited if he wasn't. 

4) Bullet Train (Release Date: July 15th): David Leitch has slowly become one of my favorite action directors working today thanks to films like John Wick, Atomic Blonde, and Deadpool 2. This man knows how to film an action scene, and with a cast that includes Sandra Bullock, Brad Pitt, Michael Shannon, Hiroyuki Sanada, and Zazie Beetz, this sounds like the perfect summer ride that should hopefully provide the thrills one expects with the talent involved. 

5) Nope (Release Date: July 22nd): Loved Get Out and while Us wasn't quite on the same level, it was still entertaining nonetheless. It'll be interesting to see what Jordan Peele gives us this time around. 

6) Don't Worry Darling (Release Date September 23rd): Booksmart was one of my favorite films of 2019, and while sometimes directors branching out into different genres doesn't always work out as one would hope, I can't help but be extremely curious to see how Olivia Wilde tackles a psychological thriller.

7) Mission: Impossible 7 (Release Date: September 30th): It seems with each new entry this series just keeps getting better and better. Here's hoping this and Mission: Impossible 8 continue that streak.

8) Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse - Part One (Release Date: October 7th): Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse was a film that to me, came out of nowhere and I wasn't expecting to love it as much as I did. It was by far my favorite movie of 2018 and still remains my favorite Spider-Man film to date (with apologies to Spider-Man 2 and more recently, Spider-Man: No Way Home, both of which are great). So safe to say, my expectations are sky-high. 

9) Killers of the Flower Moon (Release Date: TBA): Martin Scorsese, 'nuff said. 

10) The Whale (Release Date: TBA): Although Darren Aronofsky's two recent films (Mother!, Noah) were somewhat disappointing (not to mention very divisive); this seems like it has the potential to be on par with some of his best work based on the premise alone. I also admit that I might be rooting for Brendan Fraser to make a comeback, and if there was ever a film to do it, this is it.  






Comments